FAQ: VLC Media Player
From Hidden Frontier
You do not have to use Apple's QuickTime Player to watch Hidden Frontier. The open-source VLC Media Player allows you to view QuickTime movies full-screen on many platforms, such as Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Getting VLC and Setting it Up
1. Download the wonderful VLC media player.
- Note: If you're using VLC on a Mac, skip directly to Step 3. ... 'cuz Mac are just so fine that way! If you're on Windows (sorry!), proceed to Step 2.
2. Installing the QuickTime audio codec (Windows XP only).
- a. You'll need an extra file in order to hear the audio portion of the QuickTime movie. Don't worry, it's easy.
- b. Download this audio codec.
- c. Then place it into the directory C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC
3. And voilá! You can now view a fullscreen QuickTime movie on your computer.
Another alternative: MPlayer
MPlayer is another popular, open source, freeware utility. It can read QuickTime .mov files, as well as a plethora of other audio and video formats right from the install. It is available for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
MPlayer can be downloaded from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/