From Hidden Frontier
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B), an Excelsior-class starship.
render by David W. Hill
|Service Period:||2280's - present|
|Mass:||2,350,000 metric tonnes|
|No. of Decks:||34|
|Maximum Speed:||Warp 9.2|
|Armaments:|| phaser banks|
photon torpedo launchers
The Excelsior-class features the saucer section-engineering section-warp nacelle layout common to most Starfleet vessels. However, it features a more streamlined design than was seen in previous classes when it was first introduced. Less than a decade after its introduction, the Excelsior design underwent a significant overhaul, as introduced with the launch of the USS Enterprise-B. While remaining true to the original configuration, a second pair of impulse engines was added, the scoop surrounding the deflector dish was expanded, and the design was "cleaned" of unnecessary fins.
As this class has aged well past its original design life, Starfleet has executed a series of retrofits to keep the class up-to-date with the latest in starship technology.
Excelsior-class vessels have been used for a variety of mission profiles, including deep space exploration, terraforming, patrol duty, and courier and transport runs. The class is also frequently used by the Starfleet admiralty for use as a personal flagship.
The following are notable instances in which Excelsior-class starships participated:
- In 2375, a number of Excelsior-class vessels fought at the Battle of Lapolis. (HF 1.01 - "Enemy Unknown, Part 1")
- In 2377, an Excelsior-class vessel was a part of the Starfleet task force sent to the Devron system. (HF 1.03 - "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
- In 2377, two Excelsior-class vessels were a part of the Fifth Fleet that took custody of a Grey battleship in orbit of a Tzenkethi colony world. (HF 1.06 - "Echoes")
- In 2378, a number of Excelsior-class vessels fought against the Grey at Ba'ku. (HF 2.01 - "Refugees")
- In 2378/2379, a number of Centaur-class vessels were a part of a fleet sent to stop a Grey fleet. (HF 2.09 - "Worst Fears, Part 1") They fought against the Grey fleet. (HF 3.01 - "Worst Fears, Part 2")
Known Ships of the Class
|USS Valley Forge||NCC-4305|
|USS Crazy Horse||NCC-50446|
List of Unnamed Excelsior-Class Starship Appearances