From Hidden Frontier
The USS Defiant, a Defiant-class Federation starship.
|Service Period:||2370's - present|
|Mass:||355,000 metric tonnes|
|No. of Decks:||5|
|Maximum Speed:||Warp 9.5|
|Cruising Speed:||Warp 6|
|Armaments:|| 4 pulse phasers (fore)|
3 phaser emitters (other arcs)
6 quantum torpedo launchers
(4 fore, 2 aft)
|Defenses:|| deflector shields|
ablative hull armor
|Auxiliary Craft:|| 1 Type 10 shuttlecraft|
Its development commenced in 2366 as a small, highly-powered, heavily-armed warship intended to defend the Federation against the Borg. The original USS Defiant (NX-74205) was the first of what was to be a new Federation battle fleet being prepared to counter the Borg. Starfleet abandoned the project when the Borg threat became less urgent and design flaws turned up nearly destroying the Defiant prototype during its initial shakedown cruise.
The Defiant prototype was pulled out of mothballs in 2371 when the Dominion threat emerged. After several upgrades by Chief of Operations Miles O'Brien, the ship was deemed worthy of use and several more ships of the class were constructed. They were instrumental in the latter days of the Dominion War.
This class served as a basis for the Avenger-class starship, which shares a number of the Defiant's design and technological elements.
The Defiant-class was Starfleet's first dedicated combat vessel. It does not have provision for families or diplomatic missions, nor science labs or recreational facilities.
The Defiant-class is a heavily-armored, stripped-down starship and incorporates the latest in Starfleet weaponry (including quantum torpedoes and pulse phasers) and defensive technology and is equipped with a Class-7 warp drive. The Defiant-class is considerably smaller than most other Federation starship types.
The following are notable instances in which Defiant-class starships participated within the Hidden Frontier universe:
- In 2375, a number of Defiant-class vessels fought at the Battle of Lapolis. (HF 1.01 - "Enemy Unknown, Part 1")
- In 2377, a Defiant-class vessel was assigned to Deep Space 12. (HF 1.02 - "Enemy Unknown, Part 2")
- In 2378, a number of Defiant-class vessels fought against the Grey at Ba'ku. (HF 2.01 - "Refugees")
- In 2378/2379, a number of Defiant-class vessels were a part of a fleet sent to stop a Grey fleet. (HF 2.09 - "Worst Fears, Part 1") They fought against the Grey fleet. (HF 3.01 - "Worst Fears, Part 2")
- The Defiant-class was one of the ships seen flying around Deep Space 12 from its conference room.
Known Ships of the Class
|USS São Paulo |
List of Unnamed Defiant-Class Starship Appearances